Please note, I am now fully retired and do not do any professional occupational hygiene work
About Dr Mark Piney
I am from professional occupational hygiene work. I used to run the BOHS-Endorsed Course “Practical Management of Local Exhaust Ventilation Controls”, for HSE’s Health and Safety Laboratory (HSL) – link. That is now run by HSL Training
I have an MSc in Safety and Hygiene, a PhD in occupational hygiene, and am a Member of the Faculty of Occupational Hygiene, Specialist Grade MFOH(S) Retired.
I won the British Occupational Hygiene Society’s Thomas Bedford Memorial Award, twice, for the quality of my thinking, argument and writing. I’ve also won the Thomas Bedford Memorial Prize for the quality of my work. And, finally, I won the Society’s Peter Isaacs Award for the impact of my work.
My experience included:
- Site investigations of the control of a wide range of substances hazardous to health.
- Inspections in support of enforcement, and management audits to improve the management of exposure control measures.
- Preparation of expert witness statements, and giving evidence in court
- Practical advice on development and application of exposure control measures.
- Expertise in the practical design and management of exposure control measures including Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV) controls.
- Lead author of HSE’s LEV guidance (see here, here & here) and the originator of the HSL LEV Demonstration Model.
- Developing the BOHS-Approved one-day course for employers “Practical Management of LEV controls”, which he runs for the HSE Health and Safety Laboratory (link)